Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The branching paths of fate

Life, you know. It goes on. The most frightening thing about this is how soon I will be cast out into the world, jobless, homeless, with limitless ambitions and very limited means.
Unless, of course, the Addy Indy hires me. I hear they are considering the possibility of hiring one of the interns...but I'm not allowing myself to speculate.
My current backup plan is to go out to Wisconsin and help my uncle rebuild the house he just got. Afterwards, go west and find a trail maintenance/national parks job for a while. And write, of course. And apply for MFA programs in nonfiction.
I can see September 11th, the day my internship finishes, looming closer and closer on the horizon. There is a cliff where everything after that day drops off. Nothing firm beyond it. (not to mention the fact that I am homeless after August 31st, so the cliff actually begins to drop off around there)
But you know what? That cliff...it's kind of freeing. The idea that I can go anywhere I want to go, do whatever I want to do. At least as long as my savings hold out. But I've got a car now, and I can fit my whole life into it, and then some. My guitar could even tag along.
I don't know. There are lots of possibilities for life post-internship, if I don't end up with a job.
And for now, I'm just going to go home and cook Thai food and enjoy my summer while it lasts.

1 comment:

  1. look at UT. it is a cool place. it is super cheap. it is an awesome program.

    ReplyDelete