Sunday, May 31, 2009

Home sweet Midd...

So we graduated. It was weird. And rainy, until the sun came out. But on the plus side, we got the cane that we've been waiting for for all of our four years. Right?
In my sleep-deprived state, having stayed up all night to watch the sun rise over the football field, everything was a kind of blur. It wasn't until I walked through Suite D to make sure it was all clean and locked the door on the echoing common room for the last time that it hit me. I finally realized that Middlebury College was not and would never again be my home. I cried a little as I biked down to pubsafe to turn in my key.
But then I biked into town, to my new home across from Tully and Marie's, where my parents were waiting for me with a carload of my things. Between Nicole and me, we had a messy roomful of stuff (okay, most of the mess was mine) and six or seven bags of kitchen stuff that we'd culled from various cabinets and corners of Suite D and the Italian house.
We only stayed for one night before leaving for the next two weeks (I don't actually start my internship until June 15th) but it was enough time for me to get cleaned up (or shove most of my stuff into the closet...don't tell Nicole) and kind of organized. Which was a really nice feeling.
So now when I get back to Midd to work for the Addison Independent, I have a home to go back to, my very own mattress separated by two inches from Nicole's (no spooning...unforch), no internet (summer book list, here I come!), and a kitchen where I can cook my own food.
Summer! No parents! Independence?!

No comments:

Post a Comment